31 March 2010

Napkin Rings on the Cheap

I wanted to be able to put together a pretty table for dinner when my mom visits, so I saved a toilet paper roll and went to town.


So here's how to make toilet paper roll napkin rings (diet coke is optional).

Did you know that a roll of toilet paper is exactly 4 inches? I first tried to cut the roll using kitchen shears...this did not work very well. I then tried our new, fancy, expensive knives and it worked like a charm (don't tell my husband. I thought I was being resourceful...he would think otherwise.)

I cut four 1-inch rings.

I used plain old white ribbon from the dollar store to cover the rings. I put a dollop of hot glue on the inside and started wrapping.



At first, I glued the ribbon down periodically. I don't suggest this. It worked much better when I just wrapped them in one big swoop.


Now I had four white rings...but I wasn't impressed. I took some thick black ribbon and wrapped it around the outside of the rings.

Perfect!


Come back Sunday for a look at my completed table!

***
While I was crafting, Kyle found another use for toilet paper rolls.


***

For a list of parties I usually participate in, check out the bottom of my blog.

18 comments:

  1. You can also mod podge those toilet paper rolls and make napkin rings for all seasons. I love crafting on the cheap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, your napkin rings turned out great..I just might have to try this!! I can't wait to see you completed table!! ps thanks for stopping by...support is good!

    Stacey xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun idea! And I love the pictures through the tp roll:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I saved a few toilet paper rolls, and now I have a use for them. Thank you!

    And thank you for linking this to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day and leaving a comment. I've been reading your blog and you're a very creative person. I see you haven't been married quite a year yet. How exciting for you. I hope you're having a good day.
    God bless and {{HUGS}} Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have never guessed those came from toilet paper! The black ribbon was the perfect touch :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea. Love this! I would love for you to come link up over at my blog! I've got prizes :)
    -Jill
    http://womenwhodoitall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's definitely crafty on a shoestring budget. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those turned out so great! I like the addition of the black ribbon too!

    Thanks again for linking up to Make it Yours Day at My Backyard Eden!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to make garbage useful again!! They turned out so well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. loved this project, hope you don't mind, I've posted your link in my post this morning. I think they'd go well with my project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are so cute! I love the way you took the picture through the roll!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute napkin rings, but my favorite thing is the toilet roll pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. so creative! i never would think to use toilet paper rolls for anything! thanks again for sharing at my saturday soiree

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah! I bought the exact same shelves from Target and had the EXACT same problem! I actually tore up my receipt from Target, rolled it into a few small balls and shoved it in the holes on the back of the shelf. Worked like a charm. Great minds.... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming along for the ride with me. Your comments make my day!