10 August 2010

Gifts and Choices

Kyle sent me a graduation speech given by Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon.com, that he gave at Princeton University. Throughout his speech he talks about gifts and choices- gifts are things that comes naturally, they're easy. Choices on the other hand can be difficult. It can be hard to make the right choices, but the reward is worth every bit of the struggle.
Here's a bit of his speech...

***

"We are What We Choose"

Remarks by Jeff Bezos, as delivered to the Class of 2010
Baccalaureate
May 30, 2010

Tomorrow, in a very real sense, your life -- the life you author from scratch on your own -- begins.
How will you use your gifts? What choices will you make?
Will inertia be your guide, or will you follow your passions?

Will you choose a life of ease, or a life of service and adventure?
Will you wilt under criticism, or will you follow your convictions?
Will you bluff it out when you're wrong, or will you apologize?
Will you guard your heart against rejection, or will you act when you fall in love?
When it's tough, will you give up, or will you be relentless?
Will you be a cynic, or will you be a builder?
Will you be clever at the expense of others, or will you be kind?
I will hazard a prediction. When you are 80 years old, and in a quiet moment of reflection narrating for only yourself the most personal version of your life story, the telling that will be most compact and meaningful will be the series of choices you have made. In the end, we are our choices. Build yourself a great story.

***

I sure hope that when I'm 80, and my grandkids and great grandkids are sitting around my rocking chair and I start to tell my story, I hope it is one full of love, sprinkled with adventure, filled with purpose, and grounded in kindness.



 

14 comments:

  1. Would love to have you join for my Try It Tuesday post..please share with your blog readers as well. You can get the link for it and the button on my page on the right hand side! Thanks so helping me make this a success :)
    http://mrstashalynn.blogspot.com/2010/08/try-it-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! How come my graduation speaker wasn't that interesting... ;)

    I especially like the part you added to the end. I hope the same for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, I love this. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm your newest follower from the Friendly Friday blog hop!!! Nice to meet you! Congrats on being featured! Love your blog and can't wait to read more!

    Would love it if you'd come visit & follow me back too. :)
    Lisa xoxo
    http://RaisingFutureLeaders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura,
    congrats on being chosen for Friendly Friday. I love this post! May I borrow this? Visiting from Zen-mama.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great insights about the importance of choice!! I am a firm believer in the impact of the choices we make, and I am a new follower. Please stop by for a visit at www.walkingtheoff-beatenpath.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the feature! I'm visiting from Friendly Friday. I signed up to be a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found you through the blog hop. I am now a follower. I love the Bible verse that you quoted at the top. I find myself having to turn to those words quite often in my life and it has helped me to stay strong in my faith and in life. You can visit me at deal-liciousdebby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there.
    I am your newest FFF friend, stop by and say hi:).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a new follower from FF, just wanted to say hi! Love the pic at the top of your blog! :) have a great weekend! :)
    dawn
    http://flipoutmama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a lovely post - I'm also visiting from Friday Follow - I'm another one of the fortunate bloggers in the spotlight and a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this post!

    Stopping over from Friendly Friday. You have a beautiful blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming along for the ride with me. Your comments make my day!