I'm usually not one for baking, but I decided to break out of my "always taking brownies out of a box for dessert" cycle and tried making an almond cake.
At first I was nervous because it kind of resembled a hockey puck. But oh nelly was it good. Like really, really good.
I found this simple recipe and just had to share:
* 3/4 cups of butter
* 1 1/2 cups of sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
* 1 1/2 cups of flour
* 1 Tbsp sugar
* 3/4 cup of SLICED almonds
* Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
* Melt butter.
* Pour melted butter in a bowl and stir in sugar. Stir it.
* Add eggs (see it really is one bowl).
* Stir till creamy.
* Add all other ingredients (but not the topping ingredients!).
* Grease bottom and sides of pan. I used a 9 inch pan- springform might work best.
* Spread the batter in the pan.
* Sprinkle the almonds over the top and add sprinkle the sugar.
* Bake for 40 mins.
It turns out a little hard on the outside, but the inside is so moist and amazing. It is a perfect combination of chewy and moist and crunchy. It was great yesterday and even better this morning for breakfast with coffee.
I meant to take a picture of the finished product, but I forgot, and then we ate it all. So instead, here's a picture proof that it was tasty.
Next time I'm going to try making it without the almonds and sugar on top and only bake it for 25 minutes. Then cut it into bars and then bake it a little bit longer to make biscotti.
Or it would be amazing without the almond extract with chocolate icing on top.