18 November 2010

Book Review: Sweetwater Run by Jan Watson


A few months ago I read Sweetwater Run by Jan Watson. I was initially drawn to the book in the library because of its gorgeous cover. I just want to crawl into the cover and live there for a while.

Taking place in the late 1800s, Sweetwater Run is the story of Cara. In the first few pages of the book her husband is arrested for "stealing" his own horse, and Cara is found alone, learning to rely on God for all the strength He can provide.

A story of greed, courage, loss, trust, and faith, I am so glad I read it, but I will admit that, when I first started reading it I thought it was a bit silly.

Simply written, I found it a little naive. With characters like Dance and Dimmert I thought about putting it down. But within a few chapters I felt a connection with Cara and longed to see her story through. The courage and trust she showed was an encouragement and I fell in love with her heart of compassion for others and for God.

If you have a long list of books to read I certainly wouldn't put this at the top of the list. But if you're looking for an easy-to-read feel good kind of tale, I would certainly recommend this. 

What have you been reading lately?


4 comments:

  1. oooo the cover is GORGEOUS!!
    I'm a sucker for easy reads..might have to look out for this one over here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read a book that I could not put down! I love when that happens. It was a beautiful story about betrothal and prayer. It meant a lot to me, and it seems to have been placed in my life at this time for a reason. It is called "The Challenge" By: Carolyn. It was amazing!

    P.S. I'd be drawn to that cover, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with you about the cover.
    In January I make a list of books I want to read over the year - it doesn't absolutely fill my book reading time, it's just books I want to get to within that year. Well I just realized my time is about up and I have three books left so that's all I've been reading, lol. I just finished Notes From the Underground by Dostoyevsky (I hated it) and now I'm reading The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells. It feels a little random so far, but at least it is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading text books and articles. Ugh. School. I can't wait until I have more time for fun reading!

    http://ashleyanderic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming along for the ride with me. Your comments make my day!