05 November 2010

Cincinnati Style Chili


My hubby went to college in Cincinnati where they are famous for Skyline Chili.  Skyline is known for their chili three ways (spaghetti, chili, and cheese) and their chili dogs. This is our attempt at recreating my favorite food of all time, chili dogs.

Oh boy, you'll want to make this chili recipe immediately. There's a few strange ingredients, but trust me, it's amazing! 

Ingredients:
1 large onion chopped
1  pound extra-lean ground beef
1 clove 
garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa or 1/2 ounce grated unsweetened 
chocolate
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup water

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, saute onion, ground beef, garlic, and chili powder until ground beef is slightly cooked. Add allspice, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, unsweetened cocoa or chocolate, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, and water. 

Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat.

Ladle over spaghetti (add cheese, onions, oyster crackers...yum!) or my favorite, on a hot dog. Trust me. It's delicious!

***


There's still time to enter all the fabulous giveaways from my blog anniversary party!


Giveaways end today at 5pm.

[Check out my party page for a list of the blogs I post to]


 

5 comments:

  1. My friend has made this a few times and we absolutely love it! All those spices - while seemingly strange - add such a great flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played volleyball in St. Louis in college with two girls from Cinci and after we had our first taste of Skyline they were forbidden to return from any trip home without it!

    We even went there the night after one of them got married (in Cinci) in our bridesmaid dresses, tuxedos, and her wedding dress! Needless to say she ate very carfully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband grew up in Cinci and we have about 10 cans of Skyline in our cupboard. If you want a can I can mail some out!! So delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Skyline too! Just posted about it a few mos ago too! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello from Cincinnati! I'm from Indiana originally, and when my then boyfriend (now husband) introduced me to Skyline chili, I was hooked! I would crave it at 10am! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming along for the ride with me. Your comments make my day!