05 July 2012

In Transition (part 2)

Thank you all so much for your encouraging comments and emails about my fears and worries of transitioning to a stay-at-home-wife-and-momma-to-be. I am constantly reminded just how kind and thoughtful the blogging community is -- quick to offer sweet words and prayers.

As a way to help myself get organized, I wanted to share a few areas that I'm most nervous about (and some resources I will be going through in the upcoming weeks!).

Keeping the house:
I'm not much of a housekeeper. I try to keep a clean home (the sheets are clean, there's nothing growing in the fridge), but with my schedule these past few years, keeping house has been difficult.

While I've always thought I was a pretty organized gal, I have learned that I am actually the messy one in the family. I litter the counter with mail that I forget to put away. I leave dirty dishes everywhere. And I take off my shoes in the middle of the doorway every.single.time.

A few resources I found that I think might be helpful:
10 habits for a well-run home from The Stressed Mom
homemade cleaners from The Frugal Girls
my new favorite blog, The Complete Guide to Imperfect Homemaking

Making the dinner:
Gosh I am super nervous about this one. I am not a good cook. Well, maybe that's not true. I think I'm more of a nervous cook. I'm not confident in what I'm doing and generally screw things up in the kitchen.

Honestly, I'm not sure what we've eaten for dinner for the past few years. We usually get by week to week with maybe one good meal (lots of leftovers), trips to the dining hall, or take out. Looking at our budget for our new life, take out is not an option. I need to figure out how to make our meal dollars stretch and last.

A few resources I found that I think might be helpful:
meal planning action plan from Modern Parents, Messy Kids
monthly meal planning from Greater Things
meal planning resources from The Stressed Mom
3 weeks of cheap dinners from Born Free

Parenting the baby:
This is a whole new world to me. I am an only child, the youngest cousin, never babysat. I have maybe changed one diaper of a baby I got to give back -- and in a few short months I get to change a whole bunch for a baby that is mine all mine.

I know the Lord will give me the skills of a momma (he's already given me the heart). I just need to be patient, to trust, and to be able laugh at myself every once in a while.

A few resources I found that I think might be helpful:
establish a daily routine from Modern Parents, Messy Kids
every post written about "kids" from The Complete Guide to Imperfect Homemaking
Spirit-Led Parenting by Megan Tietz and Laura Oyer
Sacred Parenting by Gary Thomas
The parenting inspirations of Lisa Leonard, Naptime Diaries, Take Heart, Words of Williams, Dear Baby, Crimson and WoolOf Anslem, and Where My Heart Resides 

Supporting my husband:
My husband starts his dream job on August 1st, and like many dreams-come-true, it's been a long road to get here. A few years working at hardware stores, following me to a new state for my job, and 2 years in graduate school have finally paid off!

As we make these new transitions, a consistent prayer of mine is how to support and encourage Kyle. I have been the bread-winner in our home -- and although I'm so excited for our role reversal -- I'm so worried my pride and stubbornness will take over. I tend to be a "comparer" as in "you think you had a hard day, wait 'till you hear about my day" or "do you even know what I do and how difficult it is." Yea, not pretty. But so easy for me to fall into.

I believe the Lord has brought us both to this place and I pray that He will help me really support my husband, to be his true help-mate. I long for this, but I fear I won't be very good.

A few resources I found that I think might be helpful:
praying for your husband from Raising Godly Children
The Strong-Willed Wife by Debbie Cherry (I read this before we got married and really liked it)
praying for your husband printable from Design by Lulu
Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas
The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian

Finding my purpose:
For so long I've been focused on my career. I've been the leader, the idea-generator. I've been president of organizations and chairs of committees. I love giving presentations (funny for this introvert). I have gone to thousand-person national conferences. I own business suits and pumps and a fancy portfolio that houses my business cards.

And although I am most assuredly not giving up on my career (I believe this transition won't be forever), I am worried about having an identity crisis. That I will lose my purpose, or at least have a very hard time finding it at home.

I am used to being praised for a job well done. What if no one notices the work I do at home? I have been defined by titles and job descriptions. What if I struggle being defined by diapers?

Ok, I absolutely know that moms are not defined by diapers, and that there is so much reward in this new phase, but it looks different from what I'm used to, and I'm afraid that wife and mom Laura will become all I am -- and the other stuff that I am made of, and do, and love will get lost.

***

So there you go. I'm feeling a bit vulnerable after laying all that out there. I'd love to hear your thoughts, resources, best practices, tips and tricks. How do you do it all? (and don't say that you "don't" because you do, you have to -- I love Jessi's thoughts on that!).

Thank you sweet friends. I'm so glad to be on this journey with all of you!

***

The winner of the June Group Giveaway is Debbie from Shana's Shop! I'll be emailing you!

1 comment:

  1. My best advice is to do your best and know that it is good enough!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming along for the ride with me. Your comments make my day!