23 January 2014
I've been trying to find ways for our family to go green. We do a lot, but I'm always on the look out for more ways I can buy and waste less, recycle and reuse more.
Here's what we've got going on in our house:
- Kyle and I both take lunch boxes to work and try to limit sandwich bags with reusable ones.
- We compost (I've failed at this lately, mostly because our compost bin smells and I don't like lifting the lid. No excuse!).
- I use wool dryer balls instead of dryer sheets.
- I use crocheted "swiffer" covers when I actually get around to cleaning the floors.
- I use cloth panty liners and head-over-heels love them!
- I use our clothes line during warmer months.
- Cloth diapers, y'all!
- I used washable nursing pads while Sam and I were in that season.
- We recycle all we can. Our city only accepts plastic where the neck is smaller than the base/widest part. Think pop bottles but not yogurt cups. I save all 5 and 6 plastics (plus corks and batteries) and take them to Whole Foods (the only thing I can afford to do at Whole Foods).
- I work full time now (did you know that?). Kyle and I work at the same university in the same building. We drive together to save money and because it would just be silly not to.
- We hardly ever use paper towels. One roll lasts forever and I keep it hidden away for emergencies. We use cheap white washcloths instead.
Things I'd like to try/get back on board with:
- I used to go to the grocery store armed with reusable grocery bags, but I've totally been a slacker here. Makes me sad.
- I have been considering getting a Diva cup. Totally weird or totally amazing?
- For a while I was cutting our kleenex in half. I blow my nose a lot and it was getting out of hand. I think I just need to invest in a few hankies.
- Cloth toilet paper? Totally crazy I know, but I am an aggressive toilet paper user and it's just so darn wasteful. (Aren't you glad I came back to blogging? You're learning more about me than you ever thought possible)
- I would like our family to take shorter showers and save water when brushing teeth and washing the dishes. I'm so bad at just letting the water run while I wash dishes.
- Reusable cotton balls. They are just too cute!
- I'm toying with the idea of not dying my hair anymore. Hair dye is super terrible for you and the environment. I tried natural stuff but it did a terrible job. I absolutely hate dying my hair at home but it's stupid expensive to have someone else do it. The only thing keeping me from letting my hair go...I have more gray hair that any 28.5 year old ever. Seriously. Oh decisions.
- I've gotten lazy and stopped washing out Ziploc bags. I used to rinse them out and hang them on the fridge to dry. For things that I consistently keep in bags (brown sugar for example), I empty out the crumbs and keep it in the freezer until I buy more.
- We have lots of cloth wipes but I've gotten away from using them. Need to start again for wet diapers (and a solution of water, tea tree oil, and castile soap).