26 January 2010

Filling in the Gaps

I love how our new apartment is looking. We've really taken some time to decorate and make the new place a home (more pictures coming soon!).

There was a gap, however, in our living room that I didn't quite know what to do with.

So I pondered on our new picture (above the couch) and came up with an idea!

I found a couple of matching frames that we weren't using.

I printed out two different leaves on card stock, cut them out, and glued them to some pretty pieces of scrapbook paper. The card stock made the scrapbook paper a bit thicker and added a little life to the leaves (a.k.a. they didn't just lie flat).

I glued on some twine to make them look even more life like.

In the meantime, I raided the button drawer. You know when you get a new shirt or sweater and you get the extra button? Since high school/early college I've just been sticking those extra buttons in a pouch and keeping it in my sock drawer. I never really opened the pouch very wide. Just wide enough to add a new button to the growing collection. For this project, I decided to crack open the sock drawer and pull out my buttons...oh my gosh it was unreal. I have been saving extra buttons for years and I have never once needed a spare button. Not once! I took all the tiny buttons from their tiny bags and added them to my real button collection (mostly vintage buttons). Now they are pretty and there just in case I need a spare.

Anyway, I gathered some black buttons in various sizes and used them to embellish my plain black frames. I used some string and hot glue to hang the leaves and ta-da...

A perfect addition to the living room!

Visit thecsiproject.com


  1. Hi Laura, Would love to invite you to my new international blog linking party, today Sunday
    (through Monday) plus I think you'll enjoy some of the projects on my crafty blog!
    hope to see you there! http://www.creativejewishmom.com
    all the best,

  2. Looks great. I get so homesick for fall. I might have to copy this idea come September.

  3. This is a novel idea and clever too. I might be able to try something like this using a ti leaf lei. Good Luck to you on the CSI Challenge. Following along now. Pam @ Sallygoodin

  4. What a great idea! I hung a small bunch of pinecones from a frame similar to this last winter. Next fall I may gather some pretty leaves, dip them in parafin and hang them like this. Thanks so much for sharing!


Thank you for coming along for the ride with me. Your comments make my day!