12 February 2010

Banana Bread

The Joy of Cooking is the kitchen bible around our place. My new favorite JOC recipe is for banana bread.
Banana Bread Cockaigne

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Whisk together:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Beat in a large bowl at medium speed until creamy:
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 stick butter
3/4 tsp. grated lemon zest (i didn't have this...so i put in some cinnamon...same diff.)
Beat in:
1 to 2 large eggs, beaten
2 to 3 mashed ripe bananas
Add the dry ingredients in about 3 parts, beating until smooth after each addition.
Fold in, if desired:
1/2 cup nuts
1/4 cup finely chopped dried apricots

Scrape batter into greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch pan. Bake bread for about an hour (my bread didn't take that long). Cool slightly then unmold.


I didn't have a chance to take after pictures. We dug into it too quickly!

1 comment:

Thank you for coming along for the ride with me. Your comments make my day!