21 February 2012

A Bushel of Fabric


I walked into the Salvation Army Friday afternoon and went right to this beautiful basket of fabric. A whole bushel basket.

I started to pick out a few pieces, but knowing that I could never decide, I grabbed the whole thing and took it to the counter.


"How much?"

"For the whole thing?" he asked.

"Yup, all of it."

This is not the first request like this I've made. I've previously purchased large amounts of yarn, buttons, and embroidery floss, too.

"Do you want the basket?" he asked.

"Yes. I'm not sure how else I'd get all of this home."

It did come home with me. For $10.


We found a 1936 newspaper clipping buried deep in the fabric. I love thinking about what the fabric was going to be used for. And what I'm going to use it for!


I see button jewelry, rosettes, and maybe a hexagon quilt in its future.

17 comments:

  1. that is completely cool that you are actually going to do what it's first purpose was. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cook find! I'm a new follower from the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so flippin jealous! I go to a local thrift store on my lunch break, and they have deals like this all the time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool! There is history in that fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. eeeeep!! Score!!! I can't wait to see all the wonderful things you make!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started following your blog. How cool to get a bushel of fabric! I just rediscovered sewing, and that looks like a bunch of fun!
    P.S. I like how you have Bible verses scattered around your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is beyond cool, Laura!! I can't wait to see your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never get this lucky at the Salvation Army! Great find! Can't wait to see what you create :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun find!

    Visiting form the blog hop. already following your cute blog. Would love for you to stop by and say hi!

    http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see vintage aprons and vintage kitchen curtains.....what a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!!What a great deal!!! Isn't it fun to find such a deal especially when you really want it!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO cool! Awesome steal, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  13. woweee!! What a great deal! I had some luck at Salvation Army today too! Love that place!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome find!! Stopping by from the Blog Hop, your newest follower! I would love for you to stop by and check out my blog also!

    http://nikkiemadeit.blogspot.com

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow - a great deal. The basket is cool as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is so awesome!! I love fabric finds! Stopping by from the blog hop! new follower, have a great day!
    http://lalalawrence.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming along for the ride with me. Your comments make my day!