08 January 2013

Teach Your Children Well

Photobucket

I recently found a playlist on Songza called "songs to raise your kids to." It's full of classics that are close to my heart. Bob Dylan, CSNY, Simon and Garfunkel. I've been playing them to Sam while we're in his nursery.

As I was feeding him the other day, Otis Redding's Sitting on the Dock of the Bay came on. I had this overwhelming realization of all that I have to teach my son, starting with the love of music.

My love of music started early, with the sounds of John Denver filling our home. Some how, though, I made the jump from mellow singers and song writers to a CD collection full of Janis Joplin, the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, and Pink Floyd. I bought the Woodstock soundtrack and nearly wore the thing out.

I was a flower child in high school. I was enthralled with the '60s and in love with their music.

I want Sam to have that same passion. Not necessarily with the '60s, but I want him to find joy in listening to and playing music [I play the piano, and although I don't do it much anymore, it a hobby close to my heart].

So yesterday morning I played Sam American Beauty by the Grateful Dead -- one of my absolute favorites. Now granted, I may not play that for him when he can start repeating words, but I definitely wanted him to hear the notes, feel the rhythms.

As they said in the short lived TV show Freaks and Geeks, "I wish I had never heard [American Beauty] just so I could hear it again for the first time."

Yesterday afternoon was a little Crosby, Stills, Nash [with an occasional Young]. We laid on the floor while I sang him Sweet Judy Blue Eyes. We danced to Marrakesh Express.

Today we might try a little Jim Croce, my absolute favorite singer. Thanks, Dad, for the gift of Jim Croce.

How have you instilled a love of music in your children? What is your favorite song to sing to your little ones?


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. This is my first time pay a visit at here and i am truly pleassant to read all at single place.
    Stop by my page : hair care

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming along for the ride with me. Your comments make my day!