I'm sure you've noticed that I've taken a step back from blogging lately. Well, maybe you've noticed. Maybe not.
I've taken a step back from blogging, email, twitter, Facebook -- all that online stuff.
I keep saying it's a baby thing. That I don't have the time or energy to devote to my online space like I used to. And that's absolutely true.
Well, it's mostly true.
I've also taken a step back because the blogging world has gotten really big, but at the same time, really small and I've seen some things that I don't really like.
Don't get me wrong, there are lots of things that I love. But there are also some that I'm not in love with, and I think this extended maternity leave has helped me sort through some bloggy baggage I've been carrying with me.
So much of those months before Sam was spent in front of a computer screen -- sharing and pinning and tweeting. So much work yet so little writing. So much promoting yet so little fruit.
Sam is 5 months now and in that time I've hardly written anything and that's been absolutely fine with me. I've enjoyed my time away, connecting when I can, not feeling guilting when I can't.
Moving forward, I'm going to be doing this blog thing my way. It's funny to have to say that about my blog, but I am saying it.
So what does that mean?
- I used to lose sleep over how I can be more successful in the blog world. Well, I have a full-time job and I'm not looking to add blog conference speaker to my resume anytime soon. I don't see myself at a blog conference in the near future either.
- I am so over giveaways -- you will see very few around here and only for products I love
- I will be working with very few "sponsors" and may not bring that program back. The blogs and products you see on my sidebar are my friends, companies I love and believe in. Simple as that.
- I am so confused by Facebook pages. So only some people see my posts? I have to pay or something? Oh geez. Not really sure if I'll keep mine.
- I don't think I've read a blog in forever and my Google Reader is out of control [RIP Google Reader]. I am switching to Feedly and just adding 20 blogs that I can commit to engaging with.
- Oh Twitter, you stress me out. The time I spend there is directly related to feeling bad about myself as a blogger [am I the only one?]. I will pop by, but you probably won't see me there much.
I know that these changes might sound all too blunt or honest. It might sound like I'm setting myself up for failure, or that I'm doing this all wrong.
But like I said, I'm doing it my way.
My way isn't caught up in things I don't enjoy or doing things because I feel like I have to.
My way is getting back to the heart of what I love most about Along for the Ride:
sharing my story
connecting with others
writing, writing, writing
So what do you think? Sound silly? I sure hope you'll stick with me and share in my journey! And I would love to share in yours. Please leave your blog address below so I can visit!