18 July 2014

Another Bathroom Selfie and Thoughts on Aging

Do you ever look in the mirror and think, "wow, I'm gorgeous?" If you're like me for the last 29 years, the answer is "absolutely not."

Sure, there have been days where I thought "meh, not too bad," or "ok, I look good enough." But most of the time I put all my makeup on and I think "oh my gosh, I still look bad, what else can I put on my face?!"

Lately, though, I've been sort of thinking I'm kind of beautiful. Which is so funny, when you think about how much work I used to put into my appearance and how little effort I put in now.

I remember when I was first dating Kyle. We'd get ready to go to dinner with his family, and I'd spend so much time picking my outfit, straightening my hair, doing my makeup, applying lip gloss, but I don't think I was ever really satisfied with how I looked.

And today, well, I'm just going to say it. I think I'm aging pretty well.

My hair is so gray (who has time to go get it done?). Today my outfit consists of a jersey skirt that has an oil stain and a sweater from Goodwill that I'm pretty sure has a hole in it somewhere.

But, for some reason, I really feel beautiful lately.



Maybe beauty is manifesting through confidence. Through a satisfaction with what my body can do instead of what it does or does not look like. Maybe I'm more comfortable in my skin because I have people in my life who have seen me at my yuckiest and still really think I'm beautiful. Maybe it's because, when I look into my son's eyes, I see a reflection of the woman I've become.

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 1 Peter 3: 3-4

1 comment:

  1. I love this, Laura! I have been thinking of this lately! :) you are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming along for the ride with me. Your comments make my day!