28 August 2012

Your Real, Eternal Beauty


Recently I shared a topic that's been on my heart for quite some time -- the idea of what we wear on earth and what we are called to wear eternally.

I shared a story at Sashes to the Merchants and followed it up with a little vlog I titled "Eternal, Unfading Beauty and Wearing God's Armor."
"But God told Samuel, 'Looks aren't everything. Don't be impressed with his looks and stature. I've already eliminated them. God judges persons differently than humans do. Men and women look at the face; God looks into the heart.'" 1 Samuel 16:7  
I've been thinking a lot about the emphasis we place on external beauty -- the clothes we buy and wear, our haircuts, our manicures, our jewelry -- and that none of it matters in the eyes of the Lord.

Not only does it not matter, it doesn't last.
"Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." Proverbs 31:30
God has a promise of eternal beauty and reward. He calls us to wear different clothes fashioned from love and patience, wisdom and grace, kindness and charity.

Let me say this: clothes are not bad. The fabrics that we wear every day, and feel good in, are important. God knows that. I have a closet full of them (and jewelry, and shoes...oh the shoes)! 

But it's not our clothes, but where we place our faith and our priorities that speak volumes about who we are.

I asked two questions in my previous conversations about this topic.

- What makes you feel (earthly) beautiful
- What makes you feel eternally beautiful

Both important. To us and to God -- but what's most important is keeping them in perspective.

Although last time I asked hypothetically, I'm really asking this time. I want to know. 

More than that, I want to feature you here. Because you're eternally beautiful and I want to show you off!

I'd love to get an inbox full of emails from you, just flood the thing! 

Email me with three things: 
- a photo of a time you felt beautiful (it could have something to do with what you're wearing, who you're with, where you are, anything)
- tell me what makes you feel beautiful 
- and tell me what makes you feel eternally beautiful

I'm going to feature a beautiful (inside and out) woman each Saturday. I'd love for it to be you!


***

I'm excited to welcome The Nerdy Sewist as a new sponsor! 


I just met Kristina, but oh how I love her [and her sense of humor!]

"In that realm just beyond beginning sewing… lies sewing nerdom. When trapped in this dimension, the nerdy sewer is far beyond just stashing fabric because it is pretty. This is a purely nerdy state, whence the sewist anticipates her time with the machine, gets revved by rad patterns, and follows compatriots’ Twitter feeds religiously, often at the detriment of paid occupation, relationships, and sleep. March on, fellow nerds!"

She's sharing her experience as a sewer and crafter, and is showing off some amazing DIY wedding projects to boot.


Connect with the Nerdy Sewist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for coming along for the ride with me. Your comments make my day!